Preparing and tagging your items to sell
We use a wonderful computerized system called My Consignment Manager. Handwritten tags will not be accepted. The cost to use this system is included in your $9.50 non-refundable registration fee. If at any time you have problems using the system, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our desire to keep this process quick and easy for everyone. We've put together a pricing guide that will assist you in determining what to sell and at what price. This is meant only to be used as a guide--consignors are in control of pricing their items. If you question whether or not an item is acceptable for the sale, please feel free to contact us email@example.com We are happy to help you decide.
- Seasonal clothing for infants to youth sizes preemie to 14/16 (XXL); Maternity clothing of all sizes.
Spring sale accepts spring/summer season clothing.
Fall sale accepts fall/winter season clothing.
Maternity clothing for all seasons accepted at all sales.
- Shoes must be clean and can be tied together with string or zip ties or infant shoes can be put in ziploc baggies. No limit to the number of shoes you can bring but only bring us your best, excellent condition, VERY clean shoes. Sizes newborn to adult size 7 are accepted. We are very very picky during shoe inspection because our customers want clean & excellent condition shoes.
- Holiday dresses and suits, costumes, scout & school uniforms, christening gowns and suits, Dancewear, dress up clothes and accessories accepted year round at all of our sales.
- Sporting equipment/clothing/shoes (sells great!!) Karate, soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse, tennis, cheer and gymnastic wear, roller skates, etc.
- Toys indoor & outdoor sell VERY well and accepted at all sales. Small to large toys for all ages (infant to teen), play huts, train tables and train sets, outdoor play equipment and childrens furniture, ride on toys, play sets & kitchens, sit & spins, etc.
- Video games & accessories, gaming systems suitable for young children up to teens.
- Bikes, scooters, wagons, and similar type items.
- Baby gear & furniture: baby monitors, strollers, car seats (less than 5yo), cribs manufactured after June 28, 2011(not drop side), dressers, changing tables, toddler & youth beds, cradles, high chairs, booster seats, pack & plays, exer-saucers, jumpers, activity centers, walkers, bouncies, etc.
- Baby & children's bedding, blankets, crib mobiles, bedding sets, breathable mesh bumpers, rugs, etc.
Please hand bedding on hangers. You may use multiple hangers if necessary and either rubber band or zip tie the multiple hangers together. If the bedding set includes non fabric accessories such as mobiles, lamps, wall decor, etc you may include those items and we will display together.
- Diaper bags, purses, luggage (childrens only)
- Books suitable for infants to young adult, pregnancy and parenting.
- Scrapbooking & craft supplies
Items we are unable to accept
Please do not be offended if we do not accept an item. We have very high standards, as do our customers. These guidelines are to insure a successful sale and to be fair to other Consignors and Shoppers.
- Ladies/Womens clothing and home decor. Maternity still accepted at the kids sale. We will host a separate "all-seasons" event later in the year for Ladies/Womens and home decor.
- Drop side cribs (new federal law prohibits sale of drop side cribs).
- Cribs manufactured BEFORE June 28, 2011
- Out of season clothing (ex: Spring/Summer clothing will not be accepted for the Fall/Winter sale)
- VHS movies no longer accepted. Movies on Blue Ray or DVD will be accepted
- Clothing in zip loc bags no longer accepted. Hang all clothing on plastic angers.
- Untagged or improperly tagged items. Clothing on wire hangers (plastic only)
- Items that are broken, loose or missing parts, buttons or zippers.
- Baby gear or furniture that is dirty, stained or has been recalled.
- Clothing that is outdated, has an unclean odor, faded or with any kind of damage including but not limited to ripped, torn, pilled, dirty or stained. If clothing smells of smoke or stale storage it will be turned away. Please make sure freshly laundered and if you smoke, please store items away from smoke.
- Used undergarments (no used underwear-- socks and tights are ok if VERY clean and no pills). We will accept undergarments that have not been used and are in the original, sealed packaging.
- Stuffed animals (that don't do anything--must talk,be educational or do something to be accepted).
- Battery operated toys without the batteries or dead batteries
Designer handbags authenticity policy:
The sale of counterfeit designer handbags, diaper bags or other accessories is illegal and subject to criminal and civil penalties under federal and state laws. Coastal Consignments Inc. prohibits the purchase and sale of counterfeit items at our consignment sale events. Coastal Consignments Inc. will not knowingly purchase or sell an item believed to be counterfeit. In addition, consignors selling a gently used designer handbag, diaper bag or accessory at a Coastal Consignments or Coastal Kids Consignment sale event will be asked to certify that the item is authentic.
Helpful tips for organizing your items first then proceed to tagging
- Price competitively...especially clothing which is abundant. We HIGHLY recommend selecting "discount Yes" on clothing items. NUMEROUS shoppers return on Saturday to scoop up the 50% off clothing. Click here for a list of pricing suggestions.
- Minimum price is $2.00. Price items in 50 cent increments. You may group similar items together so they equal $2.00. If necessary, pin a couple of clothing items together on hangers or put a few small toys together in a zip-lock bag to reach the minimum.
- Gather & Organize all items you wish to sell and put them in groups by type (such as toys by age and type - infant toys separate from toddler or children’s toys). Clothing should be sorted by size, gender and type. Small parts should be put in zip-lock bag (put consignor number on bag in case get separated from larger item) and bag should be taped (packing tape) to larger item.
- Supplies needed to tag items. None of these items will be returned to you after the sale.
appropriate sized hangers (plastic only NO WIRE HANGERS; many stores give them to you free if you ask)
safety pins (size 1 inch or larger); NO STRAIGHT PINS...ouch! Items with straight pins will be rejected and we will ask
that you replace with safety pins before putting items on the salesfloor. OPTIONAL: tagging gun with fine fabric barbs
(instead of safety pins to secure tags to clothes) clear packing tape
WHITE cardstock paper (#60 - 67 works best but any heavy cardstock or coverstock paper accepted. Regular printer
paper WILL not be accepted as the tags will tear & fall off)
zip-lock storage bags
- Entering your items into your account is faster if you gather & organize first. The system remembers what you entered last so all you have to do is enter the price and description if it's in the same category & size. Once you have entered a few items and are familiar with the categories (drop down list) you will fly through tagging your items! Entering your items does not have to be done all at once so feel free to log in and spend as much time as you need. But remember the deadlines so you aren't caught short for time and miss out selling all the items you want.
- Managing your inventory is easy too. Using the "Manage Inventory" screen, you can change (edit) tag info & pricing either by item or mass item, print inventory reports and a Projected Settlement Report. All reports are based on the items you have entered into the system.
- Print tags whenever you are ready. Make sure you aren't running low on ink in your printer so the barcode prints crisp & clear. Can do all at once or a few at a time. Tags must be printed on white cardstock. **Please do not print on both sides of the tag which causes accurate price confusion should the tag fall off or be removed then we won't know which side to scan so we won't sell your item. Look at the tag when you put it on the item to make sure it printed clearly. Properly printed barcode insures you get credit at time of sale.
How to tag your items
Important--ALWAYS make sure your items are securely fastened, boxes are taped shut, tags are securely attached, zip loc bags are shut (tape them if necessary) and that any toys with small parts are in zip loc bags and taped together using packing tape not scotch tape.
Also DO NOT place tape over the barcode of the tag. We cannot sell your item or give you credit if we cannot scan the barcode.
Clothes ~ see diagram below
- #1 tip--CLOTHING IS ABUNDANT SO PRICE COMPETITIVELY or it just won't sell.
- Clothes should be hung on plastic hangers with the hook facing the left so it looks like a question mark "?". Please see the section above on what clothing is acceptable for the season sale you are selling. Attach the tag to the right side of the clothing item as you are facing it (over the heart).
- Be sure to use wrinkle release spray or iron out wrinkles. Messy clothes don't sell.
- If clothing smells of smoke or stale storage, items will be turned away. Please make sure freshly laundered and if you smoke, please store items away from smoke.
- Zip all zippers, button all buttons, snap all snaps, etc.
- Loose clothing or items that you feel may fall off the hanger should be secured using safety pins. Make sure the item fits securely on the hanger--they will be handled a lot and chances are they may fall off if not properly secured.
- Hooded sweatshirts are highly recalled. Check for recalls. Also we will not accept them with the drawstring still attached. Remove the drawstring before tagging.
- Multiples--sets of multiples can be sold together or seperately. They may sell better seperately since the majority of our shoppers don't have multiples (twins, etc). If you decide to sell togehter--in the tag description put something like "Multiples - twins" then a brief description of the item (ex: pink striped shirts). You may put each clothing item on a separate hanger then zip tie the group together. One tag is required for multiples sold in this manner.
- Two piece outfits can be tricky. Do not put pants or skirt inside of the shirt or it cannot be easily seen and won't sell. Instead, safety pin the pants or skirt to the back of the shirt as the diagram below shows. A great way is to safety pin the waistband to the shoulders of the shirt making sure that the pin goes through the hanger so the weight is on the hanger not the clothing itself. A larger safety pin (2 inch) works best.
- Pants or Skirts--pin them to a hanger using a 2 inch safety pin. Place tag near waistband or over right pocket (as you are facing the item). Do NOT fold pants or skirts over the hanger--they can't be seen this way and won't sell.
- Shoes should be clean and like-new. Use a bright colored zip tie in the eyelet to keep them together and safelty pin the tag to the shoelace. Tie the shoelaces together too! Items in bags don't sell very well so avoid putting them in bags when at all possible. As a reminder, do not place packing tape over the barcode of the tag. Adult size 7 is maximum size.
- Small or loose items such as hair items, bibs, socks, hats, scarf's should also go inside a zip loc bag. Be sure to list in the tag description all items inside the bag. If the item is parts of a clothing set it can be safety pinned to the shirt (ex: hat or hair item). Please do not put smaller clothing items like infant sizes in bags. They sell better on hangers. Remember the $2 minimum price. Tape the tag to the outside of bag (not over barcode).
Toys, Furniture, Equipment, etc---Our BEST SELLING, HIGH DEMAND items!!
- All items must be clean and in working order. Any items that require batteries must have them (no dead batteries or the item just won't sell). You wouldn't buy an item with dead batteries.
- Small parts should be placed in a zip loc bags. If they belong with a larger item, tape the bag to the other item. Use packing tape; scotch tape won't hold. Items with missing parts don't sell.
- Carseats and booster seats are permitted--flip the carseat over and look at the manufacture date stamped on the tag. If it is more than 5 years old we will not accept the set. Click here for carseat checklist. Click here for the checklist & bring to check in (must have checklist to accept car seat). Manuals are required to sell car seat (see below).
- Manuals help items sell but are not required (except for car seats). Try www.manualsonline.com They are also available on the manufacturers website for download. Place them in zip loc bag and use packing tape to secure to the item.
- Multiples--one tag per item so if you have multiple peices to one item please email us to discuss how to tag. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video, DVD, CD or electronic games should be in their original cases with the tags taped to the back of the case using packing tape. These items can be bundled by placing in zip loc bags. Please make sure these items are free of scratches and are in working order. No VHS accepted.
- Furniture (such as nursery or bedroom) sells great. We ask that if you do not want to assemble it for display that you attach a photograph of it assembled -this helps it sell.
- Bedding sets, blankets & nursery sets should be hung on hangers and safety pinned to the hanger. Bedding over the price of $50 doesn't sell very well so you may want to try selling these items over the internet.